Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Day 22

I was "moist" from my mother's birthday on March 17 until I went "dry" November 24. The goal is a minimum of three months.

~~~~~~~~~~

Still completely dry and Saturday I even went to the pub where I imbibed only tonic water. The really strange thing, which has never happened before, is that I didn't even have the slightest desire for a real beer.

Maybe it is because of a friend and neighbor in KrautLand, who is in the process of dying from cirrhosis of the liver caused by - what else? - alcoholic liver disease. Or maybe it is because I have developed a taste for Holsten Non-Alcoholic* of which I recently bought more than ten cases. Popped the eyes of the saleswoman, too.

Still, a friend tried to tell me that beer is OK and that it's only hard liquor which does the real damage. Not so!

I checked that out on the net, not because I didn't know the answer, but because I like to go into discussions like this with the ammunition of a few links to support what I am saying.

Any alcohol (even beer) can damage the liver ...

Study Links Beer Drinking, Pork Consumption to Alcoholic Liver Disease.

"In men who drink over a period of years, the equivalent of as little as 2 ounces a day (20 ounces of wine, 40 ounces of beer, or 6 ounces of whiskey) can cause liver damage." (40 ounces = 1.18 liters)

"Moderate alcohol consumption does not cause liver disease, but more than 80 grams of alcohol per day (=4 shots of whiskey, 13 oz. of wine, or 32 oz. of beer) generally is felt to be the threshold above which cirrhosis can occur." (32 ounces = 0.95 liters)

I have easily been above the threshold for more than 20 years. And I DO have a fatty liver - even saw a picture of it... So I guess, I'll stick with my Holsten "non-alcoholic" beer for the time being.

More can be found here at Google.

Ah, yeah... Since I am busy counting days anyway... Another 25 days until the due date. :-))) I wonder whether Ulani will look more Chinese or more German. Or whether she'll look like some beautiful mixture in between.

(* That may not work for everybody. Here's more.)

Peace And Boat Drinks

No comments: