Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Taiwan Independence?

Funny things happening lately. I never thought I would agree with the top generals of the military anywhere, but since those guys came out of the woodwork and strongly condemned Taiwan's president's attempt to call for a referendum, I find myself warming to them. According to the original report, 22 top-ranking generals of the Taiwan military consider the referendum or any other attempt to steer the island towards independence dangerous.

What I find a bit confusing, is the fact that the Ministry of National Defense (MND) came out to say that this information was untrue. I thought I saw one of the guys on TV though.

~~~~~

When the President was first sworn in four years ago, he was going to set the course towards independence right away. Then he had a top-secret meeting with the top brass -- and the issue of independence all but disappeared until the campaigning for the next presidential election started just a little while ago.

Now the President is in a bit of a bind. He only won last time because another candidate split the majority - and that is not going to happen this time. Another reason he got what he got is the independence issue. And that one gets trickier and trickier all the time.

~~~~~

One thing is for sure. If those guys continue to pull the whiskers of the dragon across the Taiwan Straits, Liping and I may have to move a lot sooner than we had intended. I sure as hell don't plan to watch yet another civil war from anything resembling close proximity.

No comments: